How Atkins Diet Works?
The theory of Atkins diet was based on overweight people eat too many carbs. Carbs, in the form of glucose, is the first fuel used to provide energy to our body. Dr Atkins suggests that when we reduce our intake of carbs significantly, our body convert from burning carbs to burning fat as fuel. This process is known as lipolysis. The secondary result of this process is ketosis. Ketosis is a state in which body burns fat as fuel. When fat is burned for fuel, ketones are released through the breath and urine. This is how we lose weight through Atkins Diet Plan.
Atkins diet focuses on the consumption of nutrient-dense, unprocessed foods and vitamin-nutrient supplementation. It restricts consumption of food which is high of processed or refined carbs and sugar which increase body's production of insulin. The impairment of the hormone insulin's inability to do its jobs of processing fuel or fats and sugar properly is termed as insulin resistance. As a result body store more fat than it should. By reducing bad-carbs, the insulin-resistance starts cleaning up on its own. Weight begin to decrease, and body begins metabolizing carbs properly eventually preventing more fat from being formed. So, Atkins' plan suggests that by drastically reducing carbs and eating more protein and fat, our bodies naturally lose weight by burning stored body fat more efficiently.
Beside that, by modifying your diet you won't feel hungry between meal simply because you have maintain an even blood sugar level. Your cravings for carbs will subside and you won't miss the foods you are doing without.
As a result of The Atkins diet eating plan, not only will you lose weight -- and no starving -- with a low-carbohydrate diet, but you'll also be on the road to better heart health, as well as other wellness benefits.
High Protein / Low Carb Advantages
Eating a high protein diet may lead to a steadying of blood sugar levels. Also, it will initially lead to faster-than-average weight loss.
Atkins Diet - Protein
Protein is a vital nutrient which is essential to our health. It is made up of smaller units called amino acids. There are 22 amino acids commonly found in plant and animal proteins that combine to form different proteins, and .8 of these must come from the foods we eat. Amino acids are simple compounds containing carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and occasionally sulphur. Proteins are essential for growth and repair. They play a vital role in virtually all biological processes in the body. All enzymes are proteins and are vital for the body's metabolism. Our body uses these amino acids to create muscles, blood, skin, hair, nails and internal organs. Proteins help replace and form new tissue, transports oxygen and nutrients in our blood and cells, regulates the balance of water and acids, and is needed to make antibodies. Protein can also provide a source of energy. Generally the body uses carbohydrate and fat for energy but when there is excess dietary protein or inadequate dietary fat and carbohydrate, protein is used. Excess protein may also be converted to fat and stored.
According to the American Heart Association and the National Institutes of Health, an adult needed 50-60 grams of protein. Our body only needs 0.36 grams of protein per pound of body weight. To calculate the exact amount needed, multiply your ideal weight by 0.36. This will be the optimum daily protein requirement in grams. Since the amount of protein needed depends on the amount of lean body mass and not fat, ideal weight is used instead of actual weight. Infants, children, pregnant and nursing women require more protein.
Most foods contain at least some protein. Good sources of protein include grains, nuts and seeds, pulses, soya products, cereals , free-range eggs and some dairy products like milk, cheese and yoghurt.
ATKINS DIET PHASE
The induction phase lasts for a minimum of two weeks. This is the strictest and crucial phase. Dieters can expect to lose 10% of excess weight during the first 14 days of induction. The purpose of induction is to induce weight loss by changing your body's chemistry so that you will achieve lipolysis/ketosis, switching dieters metabolism to one that primarily burns fat for energy.
What to Expect In Atkins Induction Phase
At the beginning of induction phase, you will be withdrawing from sugar and caffeine. For these substances to leave your system, it may takes around 3 to 7 days. During this period, you may find that withdrawal from these substances causes you to have nausea, headaches, "brain fog" , diarrhea, and muscle cramps. This is also known as "induction flu." If you suffer from these symptoms take heart- they are very temporary. Soon, you will wake up fresher and more energetic than you’ve had in years, your moods will stabilize, and your hunger will disappear.
Outcome of Atkins Induction Phase
By following Atkins induction phase accordingly dieters will see the following outcomes at the end of the period:
· Efficiently switch dieters body from a carbs-burning metabolism to a primarily fat-burning metabolism.
· Stabilize blood sugar and abruptly halt a myriad of symptoms indicative of unstable blood sugar.
· Curb dieters cravings.
· Break addictions to foods such as sugar, wheat or corn derivatives, alcohol, caffeine, grain or any other food.
· Let you experience the metabolic advantage.
· Demonstrate how much body fat you can burn, while eating liberally, even luxuriously, off the fat of the land.
It is recommend that you follow Induction phase until you have lost half of your ideal before proceeding to the next phase i.e. Phase two :Ongoing Weight Loss phase.
Phase 2 -- Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL)
After successfully completed Atkins induction phase, it's time to proceed to the next stage--On Going Weight Loss (OWL). Under OWL, add carbs, in the form of nutrient-dense and fiber-rich foods . Dieters will have to establish personal Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CCLL) which is critical in order to sustained weight loss. Once the CCLL level being ascertain, dieter should eat under that amount of carbohydrates each day. Simply add foods in 5-gram increments each week. For instance, week 1 OWL, you’ll eat 25 grams of carbs each day, on Week 2 you’ll have 30 grams of carbs each day, etc. Keep Doing adding 5-gram of carbs until you stop losing weight. There’s dieter personal CCLL. Dieter must eat under that number of carbohydrates each day in order to lose weight. Any amount more than that mean gaining of weight. Every one has a different CCLL. it depends on one must eat under that number of carbs each day in order to lose weight.
Outcome of Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL) Phase
· Help dieters to gain control of diet.
· Burn more fat.
· Give dieters the option to select which foods to eat based on your need to achieve weight loss and weight maintenance.
· Enjoy good health and prevent disease.
Phase 3 -- Pre-Maintenance
Once you have reach your ideal weight, you will need to proceed to the third phase of Atkins Diet i.e. Pre-maintenance. This is a crucial phase as its prepare you for permanent slimness. During this phase, weight loss will slow down and under control in preparation for Lifetime Maintenance. What you have to do is identified your Critical Carbohydrate Level for Maintaining (CCLM) in much the same way you did with CCLL during OWL. Add 10 grams of carb daily. It may take some time to fine-tune your critical carb levels for losing and maintaining.
Add new foods slowly, one at a time, and discover the impact of various foods on your body. You could allow yourself up to 20-gram carbohydrate treat a few times a week. You could also choose to spread your carbs over the course of the week, having very low carbs for a few days before a special dinner out.
This phase of Atkins is the hardest one of all, because you need to learn to control your portions and your appetite. Once you begin to eat more carbohydrates, you will go out of lipolysis. When you are out of lipolysis, you will again be subject to cravings. You’re learning the eating skills that will serve you well for the rest of your life. You can help control your appetite by not skipping meals and by not eating carbohydrates without protein and fat to slow the rush of glucose into your bloodstream.
In order to prevent craving, choose from the lower-glycemic index foods list.
The glycemic index is a ranking of carbohydrates based on their immediate effect on blood blood sugar level. It measures how fast a particular food is likely to raise your blood sugar. Carbohydrates that breakdown quickly during digestion have the highest glycemic indexes. The blood glucose response is fast and high. On the other hand, carbohydrates that break down slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the blood stream, have low glycemic indexes.
Atkins Diet Phase 4 -- Lifetime Maintenance
Congratulations! You have reached your targeted weight. you are now proceeding the final stage of Atkins Diet, phase four: Lifetime Maintenance. Enjoy your more liberal dietary intake, but don't fall back into your old eating habits. What you have to do is simply following your Critical Carbohydrate Level for Maintenance. Your best carbohydrate level is the one on which you can be happiest and healthiest without experiencing cravings and regaining weight. You may now add more foods to your plan with the exception of sugar. Follow your CCLM and you will maintain your new weight within 2 or 3 pounds. However, there is a natural fluctuation of around 3 pounds due to hormonal fluctuations in your body.
It may be unrealistic to think that once you’ve reached your goal weight, you will never again overindulge, but there are ways to minimize the damage. While maintaining you weight loss, you also must
· overcome your previous bad habits.
· learn to deal with stress.
· make the correct food choices
· learn coping strategies for holidays
· knowing how to order what you need at restaurants.
· Set weight control as a goal and constant priority in your life
· Adequate exercises.
Atkins Diet - Weight Loss Tips (Atkins Diet Tips)
• Make a realistic weight loss goal. Ensure that you are fully committed to the Atkins Diet weight loss plan. The weight loss plan might be tough at the induction stage but it wasn't so if you have the determination to achieve your goal.
• Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day. Water is necessary for the metabolism of your stored fat.
• Do not skip meals and eat at
Normal meal times. Disruption of normal meal-times will result in blood sugar to drop and hunger to increase over the course thus lead you to overeat when food finally arrives.
• Choose decaffeinated beverages. Limit your intake of caffeine-containing beverages to 1 cup a day. Caffeine leads to an increase of insulin in your body that retards the burning of your stored fat and can make you crave sugar.
• Healthier ways of preparing your food: - Roasted, grilled, braised, baked, steamed, sautéed BUT not frying.
• Commit to exercise a couple of times a week. Exercise will help to increase body's metabolism thus speed up weight loss, promote overall fitness.
• Learn your food nutrition fact labels. This is very important so that you can familiarize yourself with carb counts and understand how your body respond to each individual food is a key to success in your weight loss and maintaining weight lose plan.
• Leads a normal and healthy life. Your life depends on your health. Be aware that if you can't enjoy life, family or beauty without good health.
• Share your Atkins Diet weight loss plan with family members and friends. Having support from someone close to you can be very important, you might end up achieving more than a weight loss plan.
• Prepare yourself with an eating plan and progress chart for evaluation. This will help in monitoring how well and efficient the plan is doing.